Sunday, May 10, 2009

LASIK

I had LASIK surgery on Friday with Dr. John Doane at Discover Vision in Leawood, KS (suburb of KC). It went very well and very fast. It was easier than going to the dentist! Prior to the surgery I had about -4.00 in each eye (nearsighted) so things were very blurry. The day after the surgery they tested me and I had 20/20 vision and I could see for the first time without glasses since I was in the 8th grade 19 years ago. I am very happy so far, 3 days after. My eyes are still quite dry and I still see haziness around lights but that is very common and should go away in the coming weeks. It's truly amazing what science can do and I am really happy with Dr. Doane and his staff.

So if you like watching surgeries on Discovery Health Channel then I have a video for you. If not, then you probably don't want to watch it. The video is of the LASIK procedure being done to my left eye. You can see the flap they cut in the cornea and the laser being applied (small dancing red lights) and then the flap being replaced. Very quick, efficient, and painless.



This pic is of the first laser that cuts the corneal flap:

This is me a few hours after surgery resting my eyes:
Erin, Ava, and me in Kansas City (look ma! No glasses!!)








2 comments:

Susan said...

Cool video... were you awake?

Mike said...

Yep. I was awake. Honestly, there was no pain. It was easier than going to the dentist. Of course I had 15mg of Valium which helped :)