Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A near miss!

Mike and I have had two date nights in as many weeks. Last week was "Infant Safety and CPR" class which was terrifying and not too much fun as far as date nights go. Tonight was nearly worse! We had tickets for Evita! We've seen this several times and bought tickets many months ago when I was still pregnant. We thought it would be a great date. My mom came over to watch Ava and we were off. We checked on our way out the door and verified that the tickets were indeed in my purse. Check! The weather here tonight is absolutely frigid and the wind is howling. After some friendly banter over where to park, Mike and I found a spot in a garage and set off for the show. It was so chilly that we started to run, nay, skip to the show with big smiles, teasing each other along the way. How adorable. As we raced into Jesse Hall I waited for Mike to catch up and glanced in my purse. As he approached I said "the tickets probably blew away". We did a little giggle and then I started looking for the tickets. They weren't there! The smiles faded and the theater lights flashed. Panic! We thought maybe they fell out in the car so we hauled butt back to the car blocks away. Did I mention it was FRIGID? No tickets in the car. We start yelling at this point. It gets ugly. We decide to head back to the theater and I plan to ask if perhaps the box office has some sort of database of purchased tickets, knowing all along that isn't likely. As we are running I spot some paper in a snow drift on Ninth Street. The tickets! Amazing! We grab the tickets and sprint to Jesse. I presume we'll be lucky if we can just stand in back until intermission when we can take our seats but at this point I'm so happy we found them that I don't care. We arrive at Jesse, the lights are still up. We run up to our seats, sit down and the lights dim. MIRACLE! We were shocked.

Long story short, it was a great show and great night. We celebrated our good fortune after the show by indulging in Coldstone Ice Cream. I figure we burned plenty of calories running back and forth that we can justify the treat. However, I'm so wired from the sugar that I can't sleep...which is why I'm blogging at nearly midnight on a Tuesday night. Totally worth it.

Perhaps Santa Evita was watching over us tonight.

No comments: