Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Free fun for all

In light of Ava's upcoming birthday (and the spoiling that will no doubt occur), I thought I'd reflect on the fun Ava and I have had recently with untoys, or items unintended to be toys but fun nonetheless.

1.) Laundry basket NASCAR
I've been racing Ava around the house in this blue laundry basket. She loves it! If she could say "AGAIN!" then I don't think I'd even walk upright again. We'll have to upload some video, it's pretty hilarious. If only I could somehow get a vacuum attachment on this basket...

2.) Purple sheet parachute
Before the laundry basket is emptied and repurposed as a race car Ava and I have a great time folding laundry. Dish towels have been used as "peek-a-boo" toys for months. Dad's (clean) undies make for great hats. With respect to my dear husband I'll refrain from posting adorable photos here. Our purple flat sheet made for a great parachute this weekend. Ava sat in the middle of the floor and I flung the sheet up in the air and it landed on top of her head. She squealed with delight. I then flung it up over the pair of us and we were cozy together in our secret purple tent. My next trick will be to con Ava into folding socks by making a "memory game" out of it. I've been plotting to offload the dreaded sock-matching chore since I was about 2 days pregnant.

3.) Kitchen utensil relocation
You may recall our metal bowl of fun was a great hit with Ava when placed on the living room floor. She's been decidedly uninterested in the bowl for quite some time. Now that she's crawling and following me from room to room this toy has experienced a renaissance. I moved the exact same metal bowl filled with metal spoons and plastic measuring cups into the middle of the kitchen floor. Success! Oh the new noises! Clang the metal spoon on the tile floor! Scoot the bowl across the tile floor! Drop the cups on the floor! How exciting! How loud!

This list touches on just a few untoys that we played with over the long holiday weekend. There are so many others! Calculators, phones, remote controls, keys and pretty much anything else we are using (and trying to keep from her) are very popular with Ava.

1 comment:

KMH said...

Laundry basket NASCAR is a popular game around here, too. Unfortunately, one of KG's first signs was "More!" and she uses it a lot when in the basket! Now, however, we're trying to tell her that her doll needs turns in the basket (while KG pushes) to help save our backs.