Saturday, April 19, 2008

Let the battle of wills begin

Dag nabbit! I thought I had at least a year before Ava's will reared its head. Not so! Giving her this new round of antibiotics has highlighted how much she's changed in the past three months. She last had to take medication in January for her first ear infection. At that point, she'd sit quietly in her boppy or bouncy seat and open her mouth reluctantly but with great trust. She'd make a funny face but swallow her pink goo.

Oh how she's changed! It now takes two of us to give her the medicine. She turns her head (it's surprisingly hard to hold the head of a 17 pound baby still), kicks, punches, and cries. It isn't pretty. I thought it'd be easier to get her to take the medicine now that she's been exposed to food. Not so! She's also fighting me tooth and nail each time I try to wipe her nose. Don't even ask how well the nasal aspiration process it going. Not well!

So it begins, about 25+ more years of she and I, head to head, battling it out. Mommy vs. Baby. My way vs. her way. Sigh. What happened to my amiable little girl? Why does it have to be so fleeting?

1 comment:

Colin Roust said...

Oh man, I hear you on the face wiping. Before I even touch Elle's hands or face, she scrunches up her face, ready to let loose. Try singing to her -- 9 times out of 10, Elle will get distracted and smile at the new entertainment, which buys me enough time to get most of the chunks wiped away. As for medicine ... well, if you figure anything out, let us know!! -- Amy (using Colin's computer)