I almost forgot the zebra photo today! I'm taking a class in Mindful Meditation this summer. Tonight was the first class and I got home late. I was so busy catching up on snuggle-time with Ava that I nearly forgot about the weekly photo. Not very mindful, eh?
In this first photo Ava is exhibiting her new "soothing" pose. She sucks her left thumb while caressing her left forearm with her right-hand. 
I'm interested to see if this class can help me "live in the moment". The last nine months have flown by so quickly! I'm terrified that I won't savor each and every moment! In the first class we inspected a raisin with all our senses and laid on the floor for 26(!) minutes (no, you were not allowed to fall asleep!). I have a list of homework items to work on throughout the week. Here is a sample:
-Choose one routine activity in your daily life and make a deliberate effort to bring moment-to moment awareness to that activity each time you do it.
-Eat at least one meal "mindfully"
Anyone out there tried this stuff before? Any success?
Monday, June 9, 2008
39 weeks old today!
Labels: weekly birthday
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Hey there!
Mindfullness... where are you taking the class? Sounds interesting. Let me know how it goes. I could really be a LOT more mindful when I eat, that's for sure!
Susan
PS Enjoyed the movie- thanks again!
For a couple years, I regularly practiced Ch'an meditation, which your class is probably based on. All I can say is, I really need to get back in the habit! It's really great for your mind and focus, of course, but the overall health benefits are surprising, too. I've never felt better!
I could stand to be more mindful of what I shove in my mouth too!
Now...when you say you inspected the raisin with all of your senses.. did the class actually sit there and listen to the raisin for a while? And did it make a sound? I'm so curious.
Taisia
That's encouraging Colin! I'm glad you liked it!
Taisia - I thought I'd get teased about that fifth sense but I left it in there because my hearing was actually really intense during that exercise! I started feeling really conscious of my breathing and swallowing. It sounded about 100 times louder than normal and I became really nervous that everyone could hear me. It was bizzare! I can report that the raisin itself was pretty quiet.
Post a Comment